Friday 3 June 2011

One Sided

“Wow you look great,” Helen told her friend as she kissed Lisa on the cheek.
“Of course,” Lisa said as though this was the most obvious thing in the world.
So, how are you?” asked Helen as she sat down opposite Lisa and shuffled out of her jacket.
“I'm really good,” replied Lisa enthusiastically, picking up the wine menu and Helen smiled. Lisa was never as bothered about ordering food as she was about ordering wine. The waiter took their drinks order and amidst Lisa's flirtatious remarks a bottle of red was quickly selected, along with a jug of water and then Helen opened the main menu whilst Lisa bombarded her with information about the current state of her life.
“So yes, things couldn't be better right now. I left Jack. He wasn't right for me so I'm back on the market for a rich, eligible bachelor who will sweep me off my feet and treat me like a queen.”  Hardly taking a breath Lisa continued, “I've been promoted at long last. I don't know what took them so long,” she sighed dramatically, “but I'm now the producer of the show and since I've taken over the ratings have gone through the roof. All it needed were a few proactive changes and I was the woman to put them into place,” she bragged as Helen nodded and smiled. The waiter came back to take their food order and then Lisa continued talking and Helen kept nodding and smiling despite being slightly annoyed that since it was she who had arranged this lunch Lisa had not so much as asked her how she was, but then it was always Helen who suggested their lunch dates.
“So anyway the station have asked if I would like to produce a second show and of course I said yes,” Lisa was saying as she poured wine into her glass before replacing it back into the cooler. Helen made a point of picking up the jug of water and poured herself a glass, but Lisa wasn't paying any attention. “This new show starts filming in October and looks like it will be a success, especially now I've suggested a few changes here and there.”
    It took drumming her fingernails on her glass repeatedly before Lisa eventually noticed that Helen was barely listening let alone joining in with the conversation.
“So anything new with you?” Lisa asked, almost reluctantly, as she reached over and took a piece of bread from the basket which has just been laid on their table.
“Well actually yes,” Helen said taking a sip of her water. “I...”
“Great, and how's simple Simon,” she laughed referring to Helen's husband.
“He's great. He's been promoted himself recently.” Trying to keep her voice upbeat she waited for the congratulations but none came and Lisa was soon back talking about herself again. “I put an offer on that house I was telling you about. I'm paying a little over the odds but it's worth it and I can afford it now so it shouldn't be a bother. You should so come and see it when I'm in. Oh yes and I will have to have a house warming. Hopefully I can persuade a few of my celeb friends to attend, that will make the others jealous of me.” Helen had once again switched off and if asked she would not have known what Lisa had been saying for the last few minutes. She was almost wishing she had not arranged to meet. It was always the same and no matter who told her this friendship was one sided she had never really seen it or done anything about it. Helen cleared her throat as she finished the last bites of her meal. Yes, that was how long Lisa had been talking.
“Lisa,” Helen said interrupting some story about the latest celebrity party Lisa had attended. “I arranged this lunch to tell you that I'm pregnant. I haven't told anyone else yet, except Simon of course,” she giggled with excitement as she said, “I wanted you to be the first to know,” Helen added.
“Honoured I'm sure,” Lisa said, the sarcasm hitting Helen like a slap in the face. “Well... another thing that Simon has done to get in the way of your career. You could have been such a success by now if you had put your mind to it but instead you insist on playing the suburban housewife.”
Helen could barely breathe as she tried to suppress her anger at Lisa's reaction to the happiest news of her life.
“Well,” Lisa was saying. “I'd better have this party sooner rather than later before you are too fat to look half decent in anything.”
Helen picked up her napkin which was lying on her lap, folded it neatly but did not let go as she said quietly, “How dare you pick apart my life as though it is inferior to yours. I have a husband who loves me and who happens to be kind hearted and fun to be around. Who do you have?” Wringing the napkin in her hands she ploughed on, not giving Lisa a chance to respond. “I have a perfectly good job that I love and am very good at, so I am successful thank you, just not in the lime light sort of way that you mean.” Lisa's mouth was wide open but for once Helen was not giving her a chance to speak. “You go through life destroying those around you until they are your fearful minions. Well I refuse to be one of them any longer. Goodbye Lisa. I'm going home to my husband to celebrate being pregnant and then I will call all of the people I should have called before telling you. My friends. The ones who will be happy for me.” Shaking, she stood up throwing her napkin on the table along with thirty pounds to cover the cost of her meal. Turning on her heel she left Lisa who was wondering what the hell had happened. 
    Outside the restaurant Helen called her husband. “You were right,” she said when he picked up after the first ring. “She was as enthusiastic as a pig on slaughter day. I'm sorry I yelled at you when you tried to tell me. I guess I had to find out for myself. I'll be home soon. I love you.” Hanging up she rushed to her car and drove home. A fractured friendship had finally broken and despite thinking all these years that she needed Lisa she knew now that she really didn't and all she wanted to do now was focus on her future and those who were true to her.

1 comment:

  1. Gotta love the comment..."She was as enthusiastic as a pig on slaughter day" lmao love it!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete